sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] website

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] website
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:29:16 +0200

Jeremy Blosser wrote :

> I also don't think anyone can really claim that either the developers or
> the users have embraced Drupal even after all this time. There are some
> parts of it that a few people like but we just don't seem to get a lot out
> of it. Maybe that would be true of any system, I don't know. I just know
> we need docs, if there's any way we can actually get people doing them.

Why not use specific software for docs:
dokuwiki comes to mind for docs though we could simply use our current
one and be done with that.
phpmyfaq if we ever need a FAQ list this might be a usefull piece of
software

And then have the frontpage be a nice simple page where it all ties in
togheter with a news section.

But in essence keep it simple. I don't belive we need a full blown CMS.
We don't need user accounts(other than wiki), user blogs(there are sites
for this), etc...

IMHO the only things we need on our site is:

| LOGO | Any nice messages etc |
|Links: | [News, Mailing lists, any other stuff that could be
|News | nicely embedded]
|Docs | -> we should have this on docs.sourcemage.org
|Wiki |
|Bugs |
|Codex | -> would link to the codex in a similar way the debian
| | people have their package system
|Mailing List | -> I can NEVER find this info when needed cause I
| | never think about looking for it under contact
|Forums | -> Switch to real forum soft
|IRC | -> link to whatever main irc network we are using atm,
| | ircstats, etc
|Statistics | -> link to ledger(possibly link it with the Codex stuff)
| | link to bullet counter or any other commit counter
| | we might use
|RSS | -> RSS links: git commits, latest updates, latest new
| | bugs, latest fixed bugs, ledger RSS stats, security
| | updates
|Sponsors | -> If we have any we put them here

Does anyone else think we acctually need anything more than that???

This would make a small, tight, fancy and nice frontpage from which a
user can branch out to others.

It also doesn't have to be all a single piece of software infact would
be nicer to have smaller apps doing various things since imho it:
a) makes it easier to maintain
- someone can maintain a single app only and someone else another
etc...
b) keeps it all simple
c) IF an app breaks it doesn't take down the rest of the frontpage

For example:
News -> news.php -> parses a news.txt file or some such

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461