sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:52:12 +0100

Op do, 16-03-2006 te 23:42 +0100, schreef Arwed von Merkatz:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 10:26:14PM +0100, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> [...]
> > what other reasons did we have not to use centralized for the grimoire?
> > (not other teams)
>
> Not sure how you got that idea, I never said we want a distributed
> system. What I said that _if_ we use a distributed system it has to have
> a way to have a push-based central repository, i.e. having to pull
> changes done by other developers into the main one is not an option.

I didn't mean to say that _you_ said we should use distributed. sorry
for the confusion.

someone (afk iirc?) had the creeps of the single server being a single
point of failure (not without a reason of course), but that's not a good
motivation for using distributed imo, it's a good motivation of having
backups and a recovery plan

the push is of course a necessity

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"