sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:24:12 -0800

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:32:57PM +0100, Robert Figura wrote:
> Am Tuesday 21 March 2006 08:16 schrieb Arwed von Merkatz:
>
> There should be a simple way for people to support spells without full
> developer hazzle. I know it is not really hard to become a developer but
> i've been hesitating to become a full developer for a long time now (mostly
> because of my laziness <:^)
>
> I feel it would be a win for everyone to make things even more easy.

Distributed scms can help make that middle ground between full developer
with commit access and just uploading patches to bugzilla. This is something
I'd like to pursue for sorcery. Basically section maintainers (or general
gurus) can 'pull' from part-time devs who have patches or just maintain
a few spells they like. Then the guru can adjust the change or
revert/request changes then eventually commit to the main repository.

This might be easier for people than interacting with bugzilla. Its a
different avenue of collaboration for this group compared with business
as usual. It might seem foreign but its worth considering.

Of course, its possible to do this without a distributed scm and just have
patches go to a mailing list. The lkml is a good example of this. There
are scripts to just take a mbox file and apply all the patch attachments
within. So you save mails with patches you accept somewhere, then feed the
mbox to some script. I think git actually has a sub-command to do that.
Its also possible to just write a script to send a patch to a ML or
bugzilla (Ive written both at various times). And another script to get
a patch from bugzilla and apply it.

Ymmv.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |