sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:10:55 -0500

Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
The IRC discussions I've seen on this have only referenced past discussions
about the voting process which I believe primarily took place on the ML.
Reference is usually made to people being opposed due to the potential for
"intimidation" or "vote buying"; these are standard objections to open
voting systems in political circles, I don't know if anyone has experienced
anything like that here (I don't think so) or if it's a theoretical
objection.

I have a strong feeling that becoming more political is definitely not going to help SMGL more forward. There's nothing political in personal conflicts (and we have a share of these), they can be resolved without hiding from each other and behind somebody or something else. But, politics is about power and resources, so I assume that too many people are concerned that they don't have enough power. It's a very bad thing in itself, because in FOSS the degree of power is usually determined by the community, and not assigned. If the community cannot determine the worthiness of any participant openly and we are too suspicious or afraid of one another, we're frankly speaking not a very healthy community.

Sergey.