sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:41:31 -0600

On Feb 09, Sergey A. Lipnevich [sergey AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > The bottom line to me is: we should not use a voting process that will
> > cause some people to not want to vote, unless there is a completely
> > overriding reason. Open votes could easily prevent some people from
> > voting, or at least prevent them from voting as they wish. Closed votes
> > aren't everyone's preference, but I don't think there are people that
> > would
> > not vote or change their vote because the vote is closed. There are
> > technical challenges raised by closed votes, but these can be solved
> > fairly
> > easily without alienating people.
>
> You keep talking about intimidation of people, I suppose by other
> people. I'm curious as to why (and how is that possible). Did this
> happen to anyone? Maybe those IRC talks could be summarized on the list
> for the rest of us. For example, what are these reasons for not opening
> votes? Are there any other reasons besides "intimidation?"
> Thank you,

The IRC discussions I've seen on this have only referenced past discussions
about the voting process which I believe primarily took place on the ML.
Reference is usually made to people being opposed due to the potential for
"intimidation" or "vote buying"; these are standard objections to open
voting systems in political circles, I don't know if anyone has experienced
anything like that here (I don't think so) or if it's a theoretical
objection.

IOW, I'd have to defer to other people to give specifics, because I don't
have them. I just know that objections have been raised and want to
respect that. Regardless, it *is* a pretty standard consideration in
political theory and history, and whether or not it's happened here in the
past doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

Note that people that don't want open voting because of the possibility of
intimidation may also not want to come forward to the entire list and cite
instances of intimidation they may have experienced. Also note that
intimidation doesn't have to be overt, depending on the parties involved.