sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:49:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:43:57AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Aug 16, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> <snip>
> >> I've updated for some of the Documentation Standards[0] I mentioned
> >> earlier. ;)
> >
> > Ugh, Drupal doesn't let us do a diff between revisions?
>
> Nope. :(

That's bad, any way to get such functionality? It's really useful when
writing documentation like this collaboratively.

> > The only thing I see that changed is linking all the spell file
> > references,
> > which I guess is what you mean.
>
> Correct. :)
>
> >> If this is going under the Grimoire Team we may want the
> >> name to be "/grimoire-spell_multi_version".
> >
> > Well, I wasn't sure if we wanted to put this under 'guru handbook' or
> > 'spell writing handbook'. It deals with writing spells, but everything
> > under 'spell writing handbook' now appears to be a spell file.
>
> The Spell Writing Handbook is under the Grimoire Guru Handbook. This
> would probably be another sub-section of the Guru Handbook.

Agreed, it's part of the guru handbook. Once we have more stuff we can
always rearrange it to be better structured.
Is it possible to have directories in the paths to such documents? I.e.
can this document be located at /grimoire/spell_multi_version? That
would make the structure much more visible imho.

Thanks for writing that page Jeremy, it looks mostly fine. One small
error and one ommission so far, will add those later:
- FORCE_DOWNLOAD=on should only be set if the spell is set to auto
update, VERSION=$(date +%Y%m%d) should be set both if auto-update is
wanted or not.
- Only spells where all dependees work with all versions are allowed to
be multi-versioned, others have to be seperate spells (e.g. apr/apr0).

http://www.sourcemage.org