sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:50:07 -0400

I'm also against version to be set to current date. We had that
disagreement with David when discussing httpd-dev spell. I think setting
version to a constant (e.g. I prefer HEAD as a name of "latest" revision
in CVS and Subversion) and using FORCE_DOWNLOAD=on is the best
combination of choice and convenience. It has just one disadvantage: no
way to go to previous version by using "dispel -d". This is minor though
because the source taken from repository is more likely to not build
than to build and not work.
VERSION=$(date ...) is a clever hack and has the right to exist, but
only as *non-default* spell configuration option, IMO.

Sergey.