sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:05:24 -0500

On Aug 17, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> Thanks for writing that page Jeremy, it looks mostly fine. One small
> error and one ommission so far, will add those later:
> - FORCE_DOWNLOAD=on should only be set if the spell is set to auto
> update,

If FORCE_DOWNLOAD isn't set, doing cast -c on a spell not set to auto
update won't even really update it, just recompile it. You have to do cast
-c -d to get it to do the equivalent of 'cvs update' to refresh the source.

I can see reasons for wanting it to work both ways but IMO if someone is
using a CVS version and does cast -c they most likely meant to get the
latest sources. If we don't want that to be the default we should make
sure it's clearly documented somewhere, maybe with a message displayed if
they select CVS without auto update ("Use cast -c -d for updates...").

> VERSION=$(date +%Y%m%d) should be set both if auto-update is
> wanted or not.

This could only work if FORCE_DOWNLOAD is off for the non-auto update ones
of course, but even then wouldn't this cause the non-auto update ones to
think they have a new version each day they come up in a cast, then just
recast the exact sources they already have?