sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:52:12 -0700

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:04:24AM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> I have enough grounds to believe that quality lead job is to facilitate
> bug discovery and call upon developers to fix those bugs, because
> quality control people are usually not developers and control quality
> indirectly.

I published the list of bugs that you implied we should keep secret so
that other developers could fix the bugs, not so I could fix them
myself. Why are all my actions open to inconsistent criticisms? You
seem to hold impossible standards.

> Here me out, I never thought you'd embark on path of fixing
> problems by yourself,

By no means am I fixing problems by myself. I haven't fixed most of the
bugs I've found myself, only a substantial minority that were quick
fixes between waiting for compilations to finish.

> and I voted for you based not on your goals alone,
> but also on the presumption that you'd collaborate with developers. I am
> thinking now that I made a mistake.

This is completely baseless. As I pointed out above, you're criticizing
an action that's collaborative while criticizing me for not being
cooperative generally. Which is it?

> Just so you appreciate the impact of Distrowatch, look at this:
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?action=find&find=distrowatch
> Eight of our developers mention Distrowatch as a resource of
> information, including our leader, and some came to SMGL via this site.
> Whatever you think of it, don't dismiss its value even if you personally
> don't see any.

I didn't say it was useless. I said that our personally clicking
distrowatch is futile because the substantial number of actual clicks
come from distrowatch visitors, not our developers. (and I think hits
per day may actually be validated via tricks like checking referrers to
make sure they hit the page via a valid link and not a bot).

I don't think developers need to be wasting their time visiting
distrowatch just to inflate an arbitrary number very ineffectively. If
we're going to be effective, we need to pick an effective method.

I also said the best way right now to increase distrowatch coverage was
by releasing isos and implied that the lack of hits per day is most
likely highly related to the lack of recent iso releases, while you were
implying, in my estimation, that our grimoire bugs had a lot to do with
it. While both may contribute, I think the lion's share is from ISO
releases. I agree that grimoire bugs have something to do with it,
which is why I volunteered to help take them on. Nobody was doing QA
work, while three people were working on an ISO.

> And finally, I'd appreciate if you don't use profanity on the list.

I recognize no religions or temples to censor my speech.

Seth