sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:49:12 -0700

Hi guys ;),

It sounds like we're having a little miscommunication here. Seth, Andrew
Stitt, and David Brown have been talking about how to best cleanup
Prometheus to work with the changes in Sorcery since it was last used
(when Andrew took up the Sorcery Lead position). No one is trying to do
anything behind anyone's back and an announcement would be made to the
mailing list once something was decided on. Currently all that's in the
wraps is Seth has volunteered, under the QA Team, to look at Prometheus
and see about updating it to use the new Sorcery APIs. I'm not sure
what David is up to on this and Andrew is there for reference/ideas
only as he has his hands full with Sorcery.

Others have expressed interest in using Prometheus, but it is not usable
in its current state (IIRC). Many of our discussions take place on IRC
as someone has a quick question, the "main" people (those who've either
worked on Prometheus or have said that they will) are also on IRC and so
they have a quick chat (sometimes a little longer). Mailing lists are
usually used for slower, more thought-out discussions, which haven't
happened other than spur-of-the-moment.

If others wish to talk about Prometheus than feel free, ask questions,
etc, but don't expect everyone to use your medium of choice for their
discussions, since it's obviously not their medium of choice. Again,
once people who're interested in Prometheus (or any other project) have
their idea(s) fleshed out enough to bring up on the mailing list they
will do so. If you have ideas also feel free to bring them to the list.

The usage and updating of Prometheus has also been posted to the list
several times[0], so that end has been covered as well. So there have
been announcements, but not much feedback or interest other than on
IRC, so the talks were kept on IRC.

As for the stable release, keep in mind that the stable-rc is in every
way better than the current stable and that the new stable-rc process
setup by/for the QA Team is also in every way better than our prior
setup. Earlier we just integrated changes from test to stable without
much testing, assuming that if there haven't been any changes in two
weeks that it's fine, much less that what we just pulled in has been
tested against what's currently in stable, and vice versa. Now we have
a process that tests the most popular packages (as reported by some of
our users and developers) to make sure they work together as a "unit".
Yes, there will still be bugs, but there will be less bugs than before
and, as the process gets fleshed out, less and less bugs until,
ideally, we have 0 bugs.

As for 50 or 70 bugs being too many for stable we've had announced
meetings and all attending agreed to them, which was then announced to
the mailing lists with a summary as well[1] as the full logs[2].
There's been plenty of time and opportunity to disagree with this or
bring up any points of contention you have, it's not as though we've
locked away the logs and didn't invite anyone to the meeting.

Regarding DistroWatch, we now have a PR Team to take care of our ratings
at any news site we care to try for. The main items that get announced
on these sites are ISOs, which have been worked on by our ISO Team
(mostly Benoit and Karsten). I'm sure the PR Team would like help and
ideas for how to get our ratings up, but keep in mind we aren't wanting
a lot of users to come in until we have a 1.0 release, or are at least
close to it (which we are closing in on, but not everyone has a lot of
free time).

I hope that clears things up. :)

Now, if anyone has questions about any of the above, feel free to ask.
If you'd like to talk about Prometheus (or any other SMGL project) then
also feel free to ask and start a thread for that.

-sandalle

[0] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-May/010829.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-May/011077.html
[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2005-May/010878.html