sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New stable grimoire released
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:01:02 -0700

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:26:42PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> >In discussion during an admin meeting 50 stable bugs was the threshold
> >of acceptability to participants for a 1.0 release. 70's really not
> >that bad compared to where it was.
>
> I should be attending more of those... It doesn't matter now, but fifty is
> way
> too many. In regards to "where it was:" where it is now is below the radar
> level on Distrowatch or anywhere else I know, so let's not use this as a
> comparison.

Enough of this distrowatch bullshit.

1) all this "hey go click distrowatch" is useless.

2) ISO RELEASES ARE THE ONLY THING THAT GET SUBSTANTIAL DISTROWATCH
COVERAGE (unless you are gentoo). Reviews maybe but let's not astroturf
reviews, please. Front page profile turns into massive hits per day.
If you're so concerned, buy a distrowatch ad for us.

3) distrowatch because of rule (2) is the dumbest thing in the world.
It's geared toward binary distros (unless you are gentoo).

I've only had a few weeks to reduce bug counts. Everybody's partly
responsible for this and if people write buggy code, buggy code will hit
stable unless you never want people to see another stable grimoire
release ever again. Remember, we can shift benchmarks and goals at any
time. They aren't set by a baron from above.

Regarding (2) again, specifically the next ISO, a lot of improvement has
happened that is behind the scenes on the ability to make a reproducible
ISO. We've learned a lot on this road, and I think we're pretty soon
going to hit critical mass, but we need a solid 1.0 release for that.
I'm doing everything I can to get us there, but part of going somewhere
is knowing where you are.

:)

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org