sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO testing 2.6.9-ntpl-test2
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:24:34 -0800

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:15:41PM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Andrew a ?crit :
> >Well, its still the same fundamental topic, there is no usb support built
> >into the kernel, or the initrd. Who made the decision to remove it from
> >being directly in the kernel? What is there to be gained from having
> >something as common as usb as modules instead of in the kernel? Isnt
> >the iso kernel supposed to work on a wide range of hardware? Shouldnt
> >anything thats required to actually /boot/ into a usuable system be IN
> >the kernel? I can understand not having raid controllers or firewire
> >controllers in the kernel since one doesnt normally boot the iso with
> >them, but usb keyboards or mass storage? come on.
> >
> >-Andrew
>
> No one decided and our Team Lead has been silent (My name do not even
> appears in the ISO Roadmap [0])

What does that have to do with anything? Especially the removal of usb
support from the builtin kernel. Is there a reason why usb support cant
be put back in the kernel?

> ... so I'm just contributing, like our
> previous Project Leader, namely Eric Schabell.

Thanks, so am I. Although case in point, my suggests seem to get dropped
on the floor or otherwise diverted into semantic discussions or the
topic of a silent team lead which really has nothing to do with the
problem at hand. Which I believe has been I think sufficiently hashed
out multiple times and yet remains at large...

> Btw, Andrew, could you post the result of testing the latest beta ISO
> since you volonteer [1] to do it?

Yes I will, Ive been busy working on writing/documenting sorcery features
so my time has run thin, I apologize.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |