sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:29:54 -0600

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 08:17 +0100, Arjan Bouter wrote:
>> A better example is the section "gnome2-apps" store gnome applications
>> however, the section name doesn't describe what the spell does, gedit is
>> an editor, gthumb is a image viewer and gnumeric is a great spreadsheet,
>> however someone new to linux cannot distingush this from the section
>> name. A category flag will solve this. And the directory structure can
>> become transparent to the user and becomes a storage method for
>> maintainers.
>>

>>From what I understand, the gnome spells and libs which form the gnome
>>desktop
>very much depend on each other and have to be updated together for them to
>keep
>working. Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess splitting them into different
>sections maintained by differrent gurus would complicate matters by having to
>synchronize updates between sections...
>Same would be the case for kde and xfce I guess.
>
>I kind of like the way those sections are now, because one only has to browse
>one section to build those desktops. Instead of hunting the grimoire for apps
>which go with that particular environment.
>
>Don't get me wrong, the layout of the grimoires does need some attention :)
>Thanks for taking care of this guys.
>
>Arjan

I personally dislike having to search though all the sections looking
for gnome programs myself but then for GUI programs I tend to run GTK+ /
Gnome programs exclusively. I was for the subsections back when they
were first discussed but it was decided that it was too difficult at
that time to implement, don't know if that has gotten any easier or not.
If there was a way to implement it another way that is more elegant and
easier I would be in favor of it. And it is definitely easier for me to
maintain when they are in a single section.
CuZnDragon
Robin Cook