sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:20:40 +0100

> > And one day, we might even support
> > 4. automagical chroot maintenance:
> > The scripts should one day detect outdated spells and recast them,
> > making sure no dependencies creep in, using the spell config from the
> > official cauldron stuff and so on. Using cast in ISO creation would
> > be a beginning. Of course this will make the scripts require to be
> > run in a chroot (or another environment that doesn't care having
> > sorcery configs changed and sorcery code patched)
>
> Maybe a simple sorcery system-update could be enought?
It is not.
As you may or may not be aware, the ISO requires some strange configurations
that would not normally happen. For example for ISO generation you'd
need to set install_root.
We need a full depends file even though not all the spells in it are
installed, so we need to hack libdispel, for example, not to reap depends
info.
Furthermore, as the "openssl required by irssi" bug showed, extra care has
to be taken to check for unneccessary depends. And even if you say "n"
in spell config, an overly assy ./configure might detect some lib
being installed and include it.
Therefore, we do need special stuff. A sorcery system-update is
insufficient except when we have all ISO-related stuff cast at the same
time, which is not an option.
So Far,
Karsten