sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: andrew fries <afries AT internode.on.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:05:04 +1000

Vladimír Marek wrote:
Hey all!
Just wanted to bring this up again, it was on the list years ago, IIRC.
The basic idea is that everyone willing runs an ftp server on their
/var/spool/sorcery, giving us a huge network of mirrors.

Aren't we reinventing the wheel here a bit ? What about making new url
handler for bittorrent and perhaps make a tool for running BT server
easilly for people ?

Hi,
I usually just lurk here, but I'd like to comment this time:
In the spirit of not reinventing the wheel, perhaps you would like to have a look at White Water - it might do just what you want, as it is a bit-torrent like P2P system that was developed especially to distribute the files (all files, not just the iso's!) for Rubyx. Rubyx is another source based distro, but the tool is distro-agnostic, of course it is GPL, and the author, Andrew Walrond, is a very nice guy who I'm sure would be only too happy to fill you in on all technical details...

check it out: http://ww.walrond.org/