sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:31:04 +0000

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:23:32PM +0200, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> Hey all!
> Just wanted to bring this up again, it was on the list years ago, IIRC.
> The basic idea is that everyone willing runs an ftp server on their
> /var/spool/sorcery, giving us a huge network of mirrors.
So are you talking about adding more fallback urls? Are the current few
not enough?

> You could download a file that's outdated without any trouble, It'll
> stick around for a bit.
> Also, you could download a large file in parts from different servers,
> using all your available bandwidth for a change.
That would require sorcery to work with prozilla, currently it doesnt,
adding code to do so is a fairly big change.

> Who could run a central server for round-robin?
We could remove the code in sorcery to round-robin them and instead do
a round-robin dns of fallback.sourcemage.org instead or something...