sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:32:45 +0200

> So are you talking about adding more fallback urls? Are the current
> few not enough?
no, I'm not talking about fallback urls.
I was thinking about using this as a primary server, for two reasons:

1. higher bandwidt (with distributed ftp, whatever we need to use to get that)
> That would require sorcery to work with prozilla, currently it doesnt,
> adding code to do so is a fairly big change.
that's a point.

2. availability (the file will always be there, even when a newer
version is out)

> > Who could run a central server for round-robin?
> We could remove the code in sorcery to round-robin them and instead do
> a round-robin dns of fallback.sourcemage.org instead or something...
well, if we're talking about getting it in parts, we'll have to get
several servers (maybe mostly near the client).
Also, not everyone will have everything. So it'll be either trying again,
or making the round-robin intelligent...
Maybe redirecting only to servers that have the file,
with big files somehow returning multiple ones...
So Far,
Karsten