sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Unet <unet AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:10:47 +0200

Hi,

> > I don't know yet how the "install root" feature of sorcery work, but one
> > think I learn from sorcery is that you cannot build a system with only
> > one step! Compiling binutils/gcc/glibc is quite tricky!!!
>
> I still think that step 1 and 2 are not needed if you have an existing
> smgl system, and step 3 should be basically running some sorcery commands
> or other things to get the base stuff built.

Yes, using INSTALL_ROOT should avoid the LFS insanity - there was no
other choice before (I used this method for the ppc ISOs I made), but
here at work, I use chroot systems made with install_root... plus the
cached binaries of one system are used for the others.

> Like Unet was alluding to we can build the spells into cache tarballs
> and publish them for download by the installer, or bundle them with the
> system rather than rebuilding the same monolithic thing we had before.

Exactly. True modularity is the next step imho.

> Lets move forward, not backwards.

...and not crablike :p

Unet