sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Unet <unet AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:24:38 +0200

Hello all,

As you may know from Eric's email I volunteered to take the lead of the
cauldron team.

First of all I'd like to set what exactly the cauldron team is for me -
of course all of these topics are open to discussion...
Of course the main objective is to prepare releases of the distribution
(ISO *or* intermediate releases (I will come back on this later)),
adding features on the install process and finding new ways of
installing...

BUT, imho, it shouldn't be limited to that. Cauldron team should also be
the place where people *think* (well that happens even to the best of us
I guess ;)) about the way sourcemage should evolve. Keeping an eye on
what the other distros are doing (even binary ones), what are the new
methods/software available for this and that (did someone heard about
Dell's DKMS project [1])... there's a lot to do to keep track of
everything, finding the best...and be sure to be among the firsts to
include it in our wonderful distro ! This part of the cauldron team
should also take care of propagating ideas to the other teams on
projects they may find interesting and asking the 'necessary' changes
to, for example, sorcery team.

Thus I propose to organize the team as follow:
1) System (ISO creation, initrd/hwd/installer maintenance)
2) Prospect (finding where's what, what's hot, what's not, etc...)

So, anyone who wants to join the team feel free to mail me :)

I will put up in the next days (probably tomorrow) new pages on the wiki
to start working out a release schedule, including ISOs and what I call
'intermediate release'.

[digression follows]
As you may know, until {foo/hgg/a**/whatever {you/he} want(s) to (be)
calle(d)}'s latest ISO, base packages were contained in a single
tarball. This could have been an advantage we never thought about. By
adding a simple net testing script in the installer, we could have been
able to keep people up-to-date even as if they were installing an old
ISO version. This is what we could do in between releasing an ISO :
creating bz2s of the base packages, and let the users get the latest
'maintenance' release as they are installing. Of course we are not
speaking about weekly releases, but perhaps monthly - this is also a way
of constantly working at having a 'sane' base of packages and minimal
configuration profile, thus possibly saving time on the future ISOs...
[end of digression :p]

There will also be - provided my proposal of an extended cauldron
'concept' is accepted - a specific page to organize the cauldron team,
who's doing what, etc. It will probably be necessary (at least for the
prospect subteam) to have regular updates on what the team have been
looking at - blog-like if you like, not for spying on, but to have a
dynamic approach of things, in order to stimulate ideas, etc... Don't
worry I'm not a tyran :)

Now to the 'immediate' topic.

We need a new x86 ISO. I think everyone agrees on this.

Not wanting to move all things around for the time being, the next ISO
will (again) be a 'maintenance' release, keeping things up to date to
the new kernel etc... with very few enhancements (except a beta hardware
detection process). This should be up for the beginning of August - just
in time before everyone flies to vacation :)

That's all for now I think...

Anyone want to be part of this ? Please join ! :)

-Ref(s?)-
[1] http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms

Kevin 'Unet' Dahan
{unet,audio} AT sourcemage.org