sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:36:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
I don't know yet how the "install root" feature of sorcery work, but one think I learn from sorcery is that you cannot build a system with only one step! Compiling binutils/gcc/glibc is quite tricky!!!

The install root feature will essentially let you specify some location to cast spells into, say /opt/smgl-i386. Just configure sorcery to use this location, then start casting spells. With the correct options set, the spells you cast will be installed relative to /opt/smgl-i386, complete with accurate sorcery state information.

By switching around a few options in sorcery, you could also cast into /opt/isoroot-i386, but this time, the sorcery state information is stored elsewhere, keeping the iso free of unnecessary crud.

Just some examples of how it could be used when finished.

(thanks Andrew for taking the install root stuff on :-)

-casey