sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:32:12 -0700

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:49:06PM +0200, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Andrew a ?crit :
> >I would highly recommend that we stay away from lfs based systems,
> >and build our isos using sourcemage, it would be like installing gentoo
> >and building an smgl iso with it. There is currently a lot of good
> >stuff in //sgl/cauldron and the like for building isos and so forth,
> >theres currently both ppc and x86 isos so one can just install a
> >sourcemage ppc system and go from there using sorcery and some of hamish's
> >other scripts that work around the current dificiencys in sorcery.
> >
> >-Andrew
> >

> Sorry. I made a mistake. LFS book can be divided into 3 steps:
> - building a statically linked system
> - using this system to build a temporary dynamically linked system
> - using this last system to build the final system
>
> In my ISO build script, I replace this last step with :
> - using this last system to build the final system WITH SORCERY AND
> STABLE GRIMOIRE.
>
> I don't know yet how the "install root" feature of sorcery work, but one
> think I learn from sorcery is that you cannot build a system with only
> one step! Compiling binutils/gcc/glibc is quite tricky!!!

I still think that step 1 and 2 are not needed if you have an existing
smgl system, and step 3 should be basically running some sorcery commands
or other things to get the base stuff built.

Like Unet was alluding to we can build the spells into cache tarballs
and publish them for download by the installer, or bundle them with the
system rather than rebuilding the same monolithic thing we had before.

Lets move forward, not backwards.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |