sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:56:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Andrew wrote:
One of the more important things is getting the depends file of the
installation right, i.e. no spells in the depends that aren't installed.
The current sorcery is quite picky with the depends file due to its
usage of make, and some people reported problems after a new install
with sorcery bailing out of every cast due to that stuff.

Actually theres now a dirty hack in devel sorcery to avoid this,
but regardless, a new iso should have a proper depends file.

What that exactly means is that the spells another spell depends on must be
installed. Having a proper depends file also means that the installed
spells actually do depend on the things listed in that file.

We dont really care too much about depends lying around from a dispelled
spell wrt cast bailing out, but thats not to say it isnt a problem,
but its not the one with cast leaving early).

Maybe we can look at storing depends info in the cached .tar.bz2's (as has been discussed before). This will make it much easier to get the depends info right when installing binaries from the iso.

-casey