sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cauldron Directions
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:56:51 -0700

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:48:12PM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:24:38PM +0200, Unet wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > As you may know from Eric's email I volunteered to take the lead of the
> > cauldron team.
> >
> [good stuff skipped]
> >
> > Now to the 'immediate' topic.
> >
> > We need a new x86 ISO. I think everyone agrees on this.
> >
> > Not wanting to move all things around for the time being, the next ISO
> > will (again) be a 'maintenance' release, keeping things up to date to
> > the new kernel etc... with very few enhancements (except a beta hardware
> > detection process). This should be up for the beginning of August - just
> > in time before everyone flies to vacation :)
>
> One of the more important things is getting the depends file of the
> installation right, i.e. no spells in the depends that aren't installed.
> The current sorcery is quite picky with the depends file due to its
> usage of make, and some people reported problems after a new install
> with sorcery bailing out of every cast due to that stuff.

Actually theres now a dirty hack in devel sorcery to avoid this,
but regardless, a new iso should have a proper depends file.

What that exactly means is that the spells another spell depends on must be
installed. Having a proper depends file also means that the installed
spells actually do depend on the things listed in that file.

We dont really care too much about depends lying around from a dispelled
spell wrt cast bailing out, but thats not to say it isnt a problem,
but its not the one with cast leaving early).

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |