sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:56:09 +0000

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:53:56 -0700, Eric Sandall wrote

> We (as in you, me, and anyone else working on other architectures) could
> probably work together to add those options to gcc. What I mean is,
> when you cast gcc, it could ask if you would like to choose which
> architectures (other than your current) you would like gcc to be
> able to build for, it could then popup a dialog (it's the easiest
> way to show all the options, unless you want to sit there and say
> 'y'|'n' to however many other archs we put on there) with a list of
> architectures (all the sparc ones (about 7, IIRC), ppc, arm, alpha,
> mips, etc.).
>
> Or does the source code for gcc not support that (it should, but
> just checking)?
>
> Thoughts?

sandalle,

That is a good idea - except for the fact you need glibc and binutils compiled
for the target arch to be able to compile the full gcc (not just the c
compiler, but c++, etc.). So that is where I am now - I need a bootstrap
compiler/binutils/glibc. We could change a lot of the gcc spell, creating the
binaries for the arches that user selects, then compiling binutils and glibc
just with the c compiler, then compiling the whole lot for all the selected
architectures. Or we could create a cross-compile gcc spell to do this,
depending on a z-rejected style binary bootstrap.

Time, as usual is short... :(

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com