sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: David Kowis <dkowis+smdiscuss AT shlrm.org>, Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:58:01 +0000

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:31:55 -0500, David Kowis wrote
> I did find the gentoo alpha isos not 10 minutes after sending my
> email. There's a site alphalinux.org that is the main reference
> location for all the alpha stuff, but it appears to be down. I can
> ping it, but nothing else. I'm going to try to wing a bootstrapped
> one off of gentoo, but it would be nice if I could find howto's to
> do the chroot thinger. IMHO that would be the most elegant solution.
> Surely there's a way to do it. perhaps change the root directory
> configuration setting or something so that when sorcery installs
> stuff it goes to /alpha/usr/bin or something. hopefully I'll have
> time to hack together an Alpha iso so that we can have one at least.
> one that boots, then from the alpha b0x3n that exist out there, they
> can make new better ones.
>
> That's the plan, at least, because the alpha box isn't mine. maybe
> it can be until I get it working, but we'll see. thanks for the help
> and stuff. I'll keep you posted if you're interested. Perhaps a
> thread on the message boards would be useful? or continue thru email?

David,

I'm having a similar problem trying to establish a cross-compile for the arm
based zaurus PDA. First, I am using sorcery's support for cross-compile,
which does indeed use a BUILD_ROOT so all your stuff goes to /opt/cross-
install/arch; but that isn't enough, at least for me, as I still need a cross-
compiling GCC - and "our" gcc 3.3.1 doesn't create arm-linux code, so I'll
have to either change the gcc spell to create all cross-compilers I'll need,
or create a binary spell to download the bootstrap cross-compiler. That is
just the starting block - creating cross-compiled code. The next is, in my
case, creating the install images and the ipkg files; in your case, copying
all the basesystem binaries generated by cross-compile to a ISO image.
I hope I made myself clear - it's still 9h50 and the coffee hasn't kicked in
yet...

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com