sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Jose Bernardo Silva <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Alpha ISO
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:04:04 +1200

A couple of comments:

Re: How to attract developers? If we attract users who enjoy smgl then developers will come from some of those users who like to play.

How do we attract users? We have to concentrate on creating a great distribution. I don't think we should prematurely advertise smgl to get users if smgl isn't ready. The users would just have a bad experience and they won't give smgl a try when it is ready.

I personally think we aren't too far off getting a great system.

Re: the devel grimoire. I believe this system was changed by the grimoire gurus who knew what the problems were and I trust their decision. They have given access through cvs. Free and easy access will encourage the new users to try it out and when they have problems, who will they contact? the gurus. I think it can be likened to giving a child a loaded gun, you're going to have more problems.

My solution would be to rename the test grimoire to devel grimoire and rename the devel grimoire to:
gurus grimoire or gurus playground or "enter at your own risk" grimoire or supportless grimoire or dont-moan-if-it-dont-work grimoire. I'm sure others can come up with better names.

Duane.