sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:25:00 -0500

On Thursday 25 July 2002 10:20 pm, Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ wrote:

> One possible conundrum to be solved. Let's say I run devel for a
> day and have it update my current setup. Let's then say that I find
> that critical spells (for me) in devel are broken. If I then pull off
> the stable grimoire and run update, will it replace the things in devel
> with the versions in stable?
>
> -Phil/CERisE
The answer is yes, I did this very transition about a month ago,
devel->stable->devel. It takes a lot of compiling of couse, and it may
take more than one update to sort things out, but in the end I ran in to
no major problems. I guess another anwswer is that if you can't live with
some runtime problems every once ina while for a few days, then you
shouldn't be running devel. That was the response always heard about
debian unstable.

Spencer