sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:19:14 -0700

Hey, I've always been a user of the current branch of Source Mage, but
I'm a little curious about a few things with stable/testing.
Basically, do we really know that they're any more stable than the most
up-to-date one? Aside from, of course, keeping GCC2, and delaying on
major updates of that type, I'm not convinced that they're really much
better - it's not like any of these spells go through major testing to
make sure there are no bugs in that version of a particular program.

Considering the relatively small number of SM users, it'd be almost
impossible to verify each program is truly "stable". With that in
mind, I think it would be great if we could somehow take advantage of
the work already done by the much-larger Debian team, and just use the
version numbers that they have already labeled as stable or testing.
The only issue with this that I see is that there could be some
problems with older versions of programs not compiling/not being
available to download, but I think these problems could be worked out.

What do you think?
-Ari