sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • To: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • Cc: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:59:20 -0700

On Thursday 25 July 2002 05:49 pm, Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ wrote:
> Eric Womack said:
> > But even to say that we will determine if a package is is stable because
> > Debian says it's stable is too much. WE need to test is and determine
> > for ourselves if something is stable. We are already developing a clear
> > guideline for the proper use of each grimoire is, and I think we should
> > continue in that direction.
>
> I think that's setting ourselves up for way too much work.
> I think we should simply list as stable what the authors would list
> as stable.

I think I was misunderstood.

When I was refering to testing, I meant that we would be testing the package
in order to move it from devel to test. After no mishaps in test, it would
then move to stable.

I believe it is working out for the future that:

devel allows software of any release
test is beta and above (after having passed through devel)
stabel is release level (after having passed through both of the above) In
other words, both our own use and the package author have shown it to be
stable.

Eric