sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/testing branches
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:34:11 -0700

Quoting Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>:
> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Ari Steinberg wrote:
> > impossible to verify each program is truly "stable". With that in
> > mind, I think it would be great if we could somehow take advantage
> of
> > the work already done by the much-larger Debian team, and just use
> the
> > version numbers that they have already labeled as stable or
> testing.
>
> I don't like the idea of our distro being tied or dependant on any
> other distro.
>
> Builing on others work is one thing, what you are suggesting is
> quite another.

While I agree with the general idea of what you're saying, I think that
you're taking a bit of an extreme position, and overlooking
practicality. As far as being "tied or dependant", I don't think my
idea really does "tie us down". If somehow Debian suddenly
disappeared, we'd still have their verified version numbers, and we
could at that point then manage perfectly fine on our own. Of course,
that is a ridiculous situation to imagine anyway - Debian, much like
Source Mage, is developed in a very open manner, and it would not
suddenly just disappear - there are hundreds (thousands?) of people
involved in it, and there is no company that could just suddenly go out
of business (it is not as if I'm suggesting we base our work on Red Hat
or some other potentially unstable company along those lines).

Furthermore, everything we do is "tied or dependant" on many other
people. By the same logic, one might argue that we are dependent on
the Linux kernel team or something along those lines. This is the
nature of open source - avoiding unnecessary duplication. I am
suggesting that a way for us to avoid duplication not just of source
code but of testing that has already been done.

Anyway, I have to run, will write more on this later.
-Ari