sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>, "\"\\\"Julian v. Bock\\\"\"" <julian AT openit.de>, Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:11:45 -0700

Quoting "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>:

> I still think tempfs is a very elegant solution to many
> problems (disk clean-up, /tmp using my otherwise unused
> most of the time swap partition, performance still
> there), but that's not the point. Why are we discussing
> what to change when there's a whole slew of sorcery
> functions to implement to be feature-complete for 1.0?
>
> --Sergey.

Werd.
The important thing is that tempfs works. For those that are annoyed
at the thought of having to create a large swap partition, remember
that you don't have to! You can create a temporary swap file,
instructions have been around for a long time now (unfortunately I
don't know them offhand, but I'd bet they're somewhere in the wiki).
Performance-wise, 99% of the time spent compiling large programs is a
part of the actual compilation process and has nothing to do with the
overhead in cast. If you are fed up with compile times, maybe you
should go back to a binary distro - it's an inherent problem with using
the source.

-Ari