seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett@frontiernet.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:47:53 -0500

M&M Mars owns Deeds of Change. Why did they sell out. Who will next own
SSE and what role will Goldman play in that transaction.

Lawrence - Mars is a family corporation, not a public corporation. As such, they are, or can be, value driven. Mars supported most of Seeds of Change's efforts (which, if you will recall, was to create a distributed living seed bank of OP varieties throughout the world) As the founding members of SoC got older or distracted, it was convenient for them to let MARS take the reins. I hear that the seed arm, Steve Peters et al, has autonomy and operates much as they did before MARS owned SoC. MARS did take the SoC name for their line of prepared organic foods. A lot of good came from MARS organic foods, at least in the beginning.

Sorry to go off, Lawrence, but the Mars family CEO of SoC once bought an iMac for BD Now! back when I was starving down on the commune. He didnt do that for any more than to help keep the deep sustainable farming word out. Didn't even ask for a plug and, possibly, I've never told this story before.

What is sad, but it doesn't seem to bother him, Al Kapuler (founder/SoC) let SSE have his PEACE SEED inventory a year or so ago.

-Allan