seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:29:07 -0500

Elise Lutrick wrote:

Look, lots of folks got tiffed because Mr. Whealy was booted from his
job. He may or may not have behaved inappropriately and he may or may
not have deserved it.
It was obviously a hostile takeover spearheaded primarily by Goldman.
They're not fooling anyone. I take Whealy's letter seriously, as fact,
not exaggeration or coverup for anything regarding his role.
M&M Mars owns Deeds of Change. Why did they sell out. Who will next own
SSE and what role will Goldman play in that transaction.

I choose to support other organizations and seed/plant networks and will do
business with
them because those that are left will probably not sell out. They believe in
what they are
doing and feel that the public and their longtime supporters deserve some
consideration.
They would be like the old traditional Chinese, one step back and two steps
forward,
roll with the punches. Noone but conventional-ag-biotech will benefit from a
takeover
and sellout of SSE.

> It seems as though in the eyes of most folks
that this issue is immaterial, that regardless of the cause of the
action, Mr. Whealy was above reproach no matter what may have
precipitated the action. As a result, a veritable tidal wave of

That is correct.

accusations have been flying from every quarter at everyone connected
with the organization EXCEPT for Mr. Whealy. Not one of us knows the
facts, but lots of potentially actionable libelous accusations are
being openly flung about about every other person connected with the
institution. I personally do not know who did what, but I am willing
to bet based on the evidence that I have seen flow through this mess
that eventually there are going to be lots of embarrassed folks. For
myself, I choose the wait and see method. The proof is in the pudding,
as the old saying goes. I am not going to accuse folks baselessly, and
I am not going to blindly follow anyone in hero worship.

Suit yourself. I suppose you read Whealy's letters and flung them into the
dustbin?
If you didn't take anything in them at all seriously then you're probably
blowing smoke with
your rhetoric above. I am a SSE stakeholder only peripherally, as most people
are, but I am a real
stakeholder in a local farmers market which underwent a hostile takeover
attempt the same way and
by the same kind of people as SSE has had to deal with. As I said they don't
fool me one bit and
the same probably appliies to many others. Its always about the big guys
taking the little guys
space and dominating the marketplace. It doesnt always have to be that way.
SSE was to serve a
level playing field in the marketplace, a resource the small and home farmers
could always rely on,
as you imply below. If they change their mission or sell out that resource will be lost forever. Read Whealys letter where he talks about Goldman's clueless, cavalier suggestion about making changes at SSE and following other organization's models, Seeds of Change, for one, then consider their sellout to Mars.

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - Live 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydAs5bRW1U&feature=related

I encourage everyone here to carefully investigate links produced here
and elsewhere as evidence, including going to the root and parallel
sites and thoroughtly researching accusations for yourselves before
jumping to conclusions.

Anything to avoid taking Whealy's letters seriously.
What is your professional involvement in the field of agriculture?

No, I do not work for SSE. I am interested in SSE because I have
grandchildren whose lives may very well depend on what resides in the
SSE seed vaults.

Most everyone feels that way except that most are not confident that in
present hands SSE will
fulfill that role.