seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Corporate Sponsors of Cucurbitaceae 06
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 03:24:44 +0000

Woody, with all due respect,

I'm disgusted with all this SSE political baloney too, but here is what I think:

It seems to me like a bad idea to ignore what's going on in one of the major resources of our generation for seedsaving. Especially since it was clearly a hostile takeover at SSE and it affects us all, along with many of our current & future seed sources as well..

I don't see how we can stay informed without discussing it/them. We on this list could be very suddenly and directly affected by what they might do. Things could get legal, and it could happen overnight- In fact it already has once. IMO we'd better stay up on it.

Obviously SSE is not ignoring *us*, since Larry is already in receipt of legal action put forward (to our infant list) by SSE in the form of "You can't call yourselves seedsavers over there."

With the recent suspicious directional change, away from its members having any say in decision-making, SSE has just literally taken the life's work of many people (not just Kent Whealy) out of those very people's hands, and appears to be getting ready to cash in on it.

I find all the "wait-and-see, maybe they're really angels" stuff and the sanctimonious inaction appalling. I can see the writing on the SSE wall from here- Surely I'm not the only one?

I think it prudent to stay informed about what's going on over there.

I know feelings run high, that's why this list got started (Thank you again, Larry :)).

I think we have an ongoing responsibility to preserve ourselves and ensure the continuance of this list (And others like it) as an alternate resource for seedsavers everywhere. I think we need to set a determined example.

I also think we ought to keep 'em under scrutiny at SSE. That's the thing they're most afraid of- That's why they keep trying to stonewall and prevent any discussion among SSE members.

IMO if we let SSE's questionable and murky agenda drive us apart now, then they and their ilk just might get away with the rest of it.

Plus there's an entire herd (Or 2, wasn't it?) of innocent animals at stake.

Just my $.02.

Linda

-------------- Original message from "Woody" <wderyckx@peoplepc.com>: --------------