permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:54:21 -0500

Many years ago, 1980 something, I was the chairman of the Salt Lake County Libertarian party. Being a studious sort, I was reading the actual election laws and discovered that I could demand a test of the voting apparatus. So we trooped down to the County offices and applied for the test. They gave us a bunch of ballots to punch. We punched them, counted them by hand, gave them to the clerk, they were run through the machine, and the total did not match our total. So we hand counted again, this time with the assistance of the clerk's staff, and the machine total still did not match our total. Much chagrin all around.

I had brought with me one of our members who was for the time anyway a major computer geek. he spent some time chatting with their chief programmer, and afterwards he said, "Bob, there is no way that this system could be tested and verified as accurate. There are too many places where it could be finagled with." Further, he didn't think it would be possible to ever design a computerized voting system that could not be rigged or otherwise finagled.

Bob Waldrop, Okie City