permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [OT] My Vision of the Future
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:50:07 -0500

I think when it comes to politics in these not-so-united States these days, it's important to remember the "places to intervene in a system." In political terms, the place where us peons have the lest influence is the federal, and the higher we go, the less influence/impact we have. The place to intervene when it comes to politics starts at the neighborhood level. I came up 179 votes short in my campaign for City Council last year, but I carried every precinct in the Ward except for 2. The two I lost were the upscale neighborhoods who turned out for the incumbent. The precincts where I won were the working/middle class neighborhoods. So I intend to run again next year. My opponent spent $125/vote. I spent $5/vote.

The ward has 77,000 residents. Only about 1300 voted.

So there's places where permies can make a significant impact. But its not in Washington, DC.

When it comes to our national politics, the place to lay your cards is "collapse". I don't believe the United States government as we know it will exist 50 years in the future. Investing in that level (emotional, political, whatever) is a losing proposition.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City, http://www.ipermie.net, "Still $1.99! 2,000 copies sold".