permaculture - Re: [permaculture] This list, the subscriber base and traffic.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] This list, the subscriber base and traffic.
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:16:31 -0400

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM, sandra joel campe <
zukunftswerkstatt@riseup.net> wrote:

> thanks for the number, too. i'm wondering whether there would be a
> simple way of sharing who is based where without creating a lot of
> traffic? maybe through a piratepad like this one:
> http://piratepad.be/p/international_permaculture
> (this can be edited by everyone who's got the link but does not require
> login or anything...)

I would much rather people just posted something about themselves right
here in the list.
This would be much better as it would enable people to estabish new
contacts and generate discussion too.

> also thanks for asking whether i want to moderate the list with you.
> actually, here in germany we've just had similarly "escalating"
> discussions on our mailinglist (which has 460 members) - and i have just
> decided against becoming a moderator. on the one hand, because i think
> that anybodys time is too valuable to be used for list-moderation, and
> on the other hand because of this:
> in our team of the Permakultur Institut e.V., there was a strong opinion
> to let the list subscribers self-organize, like any (good and
> well-working) system would. whatever that means on a list! :-)

I think they can do this here too, self organize. Proof is that I have
stopped purging ids
based on recent feedback escribing the value of the lurker community.

> what we did though is that we formulated an "entrance text" for new
> subscribers (unlike before, where anyone could just join without having
> much information).
> this text basically says what the list is for, mentions that the list is
> not being moderated and why, and states these 2 simple rules:
> - communicate as if you are sitting in front of the other person.
> - make irony explicit.

This list has all that, a long welcome text updated every now and then plus
the list homepage has tons of information
and my special brand of (creative, positive pro-peasant) propaganda.

> there are also a few hints where to redirect longer discussions to (e.g.
> the permies.com -forums!), because

Whoops, stop right there, you don't realize what you are saying! :-)
Redirect list traffic to wheaties-poseur joke of a forum, as William S.
Burroughs put it once (aout something totally unrelated)
"not in a million billion years".
wheaties forum is a dictatorial faux progresive anarchy at best, all
focused on his $$$$$$$ flow and personal glorification

> a) it relieves list subscribers from
> massive traffic and b) the discussion is being saved for future

I want massive traffic in this list, all the time. People who can;t hack
lots of posts or long posts should find another list.
Sorry about that. I have been at this since the late eighties and am firmly
in the content oriented camp with regard to list mission.

> reference / people that join the list later! like that, people can just
> write "this discussion is now being continued under this link:..." and
> everyone can continue following it.

Reading this in utter disbelief. As bill said "not in a million billion
years, even light years. End of story to be polite.
wheaties is like trump and the Phelps church followers who picket funerals,
going full tilt against social norms, for extreme amounts of attention it
brings to their project, business or cause.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com