permaculture - Re: [permaculture] This list, the subscriber base and traffic.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sandra joel campe <zukunftswerkstatt@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] This list, the subscriber base and traffic.
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:36:33 +0200

hi lawrence,

never heard of joanna campe, thanks for the hint! :-)

thanks for the number, too. i'm wondering whether there would be a
simple way of sharing who is based where without creating a lot of
traffic? maybe through a piratepad like this one:
http://piratepad.be/p/international_permaculture
(this can be edited by everyone who's got the link but does not require
login or anything...)

also thanks for asking whether i want to moderate the list with you.
actually, here in germany we've just had similarly "escalating"
discussions on our mailinglist (which has 460 members) - and i have just
decided against becoming a moderator. on the one hand, because i think
that anybodys time is too valuable to be used for list-moderation, and
on the other hand because of this:
in our team of the Permakultur Institut e.V., there was a strong opinion
to let the list subscribers self-organize, like any (good and
well-working) system would. whatever that means on a list! :-)

what we did though is that we formulated an "entrance text" for new
subscribers (unlike before, where anyone could just join without having
much information).
this text basically says what the list is for, mentions that the list is
not being moderated and why, and states these 2 simple rules:
- communicate as if you are sitting in front of the other person.
- make irony explicit.

there are also a few hints where to redirect longer discussions to (e.g.
the permies.com -forums!), because a) it relieves list subscribers from
massive traffic and b) the discussion is being saved for future
reference / people that join the list later! like that, people can just
write "this discussion is now being continued under this link:..." and
everyone can continue following it.

the last but not least thing is the explanation why and how to mark side
aspects as "off topic".

we also mention that and how people can change their subscription to
"daily digest", "weekly digest", etc.

i am quite excited to see where this change will lead us in the german
network! :-)

maybe others have good practices to share from other lists?

many greetings from hot northern germany,
sandra

--
sandra joel campe
sieben linden ecovillage