permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:16:05 -0600

Bob's invisible structures outline is excellent! As a way of launching the
discussion of many of them in PDC's I have been showing a phenomenal film
about the Pruitt-Igoe Public Housing Projects that were built in St. Louis
in the 1950's. That housing project has become infamous worldwide and is
used significantly in books about the failures of urban planning and
architectural design. This film explains the greater context for those
failures, which is really the failure of industrialized economics and
segregated thinking, and the effect that has had on the most vulnerable in
society, as well as the aftershocks we are experiencing today. I highly
recommend showing this to students, particularly if they live in the US and
are majority white. The film and the resulting discussions change peoples
lives.

The Pruitt-Igoe Myth
http://www.pruitt-igoe.com/

Jason