permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:47:57 -0500

Here's the table of contents of the Invisible Structures section of my ebook on urban permaculture. If this looks interesting, you can buy the whole ebook for $1.99 at http://www.ipermie.net. (You can buy a pdf format at the site, or follow links to ebook superstores like Amazon kindle, Apple iStore, etc to buy versions suitable for other ereader platforms.)

Bob Waldrop, Okie City

Section 1: Invisible Structures

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. /Jiddu Krishnamurti/

Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just. /Blaise Pascal/

*Section List of Chapters*

*01011 Invisible Structure Basics* <#ref_01011>
Structures, systems, religions, organizations, political and economic systems, all the "software" that makes human societies work. We move towards creating a society where it is easier to care for people, care for the planet, and have a care for the future.

*01021 Invisible structures for urban and college permaculture* <#ref_01021>
The special circumstances involving invisible structures of urban and college/university situations.

*01031 Design issues in our urban realities* <#ref_01031>
The importance of local governments. 18 urban design imperatives. Problems of cities.

*01041 Invisible Structure Toolbox* <#ref_01041>
14 interesting permaculture design tools useful in urban areas.

*01051 Zones in Invisible Structures* <#ref_01051>
Memes, habits/behaviors, structures, systems, communities, cultures, peoples, species. Eight zones for permaculture work.

*01061 Observations About Invisible Structures* <#ref_01061>
Invisible structures have consequences. Changing invisible structures has consequences. Be careful! The problem of unintended consequences.

*01071 Succession and Invisible Structures* <#ref_01071>
Memetic evidence of damaged cultural ecologies, first, second, and third order change agents.

*01081 Extended Families, Groups, Organizations* <#ref_01081>
The utility and importance of voluntary cooperation and kinship bonds.

*01091 Open Source Resistance and the Occupy Movement* <#ref_01091>
Replicating lessons from the Occupy movement.

*01101 Community Permaculture Projects* <#ref_01101>
Ideas for community permaculture projects in cities and on campus.

*01111 The problem of rent-seeking* <#ref_01111>
What happens when invisible structures corrupt and go bad.

*01121 Structures of Control and Liberation* <#ref_01121>
Memes of control and liberation. How those in control stay in power and how they oppress the rest of us. The importance of self-fulfilling prophecies.

*01131 War, peace, and justice* <#ref_01131>
Laying the foundation for a future of peace with justice.

*01141 The Melbourne Principles* <#ref_01141>
Ten principles for sustainable cities, adopted in 2002.

*01151 The Methods of Nonviolent Action* <#ref_01151>
From the Albert Einstein Institution, by Dr. Gene Sharp, 198 ideas for nonviolent action. Used here with permission of the author..

*01161 Social Justice and the Oppression of the Poor* <#ref_01161>
More on invisible structures gone wrong. How modern societies oppress the poor and profit from it.

*01171 Invisible Structure Inventory* <#ref_01171>
The beginning of an inventory of your involvement with invisible structures and your first thoughts on necessary evolutions in invisible structures.

*01181 Invisible Structure Design Issues* <#ref_01181>
Two design challenges to get you started.

*01191 Additional resources for Invisible Structures* <#ref_01191>

On 7/15/2016 7:32 PM, scott@permaculture.org wrote:
I thought you would never ask!!

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM, <scott@permaculture.org> wrote:
> Life is not "just" about how to sharpen colters to get cleaner planting
> rows, nor how to make maple syrup it is also about how to deal with
greed,

Reality check: I have no clue as to how to deal with greed. Do you? Please
enlightn us. I am tired of tilting at windmills when I need to be totally
occupied with survival.
Seriously. No pi in the sky for me. No religion and no politics either.
Just survival and when I have made progress then I will gladly help others.
One way to stop greed is to develop systems that do not reward greed. One
of the best models I know of is the Mondragon Co-op system in the Basque
country of Spain. This is a system that does not allow anyone in the co-op
make more than six times the pay of the lowest paid co-op member. Guess
what? If the ceo wants to make more money he has to find a way to see that
the lowest paid also makes more money. The worker owned co-ops are starting
to appear in the US particularly in Ohio and they are keeping jobs in the
community and operating based on the second and third ethics of permaculture.
> how to share resources and information and much much more.

EX ACT LY. By all means share resources and information and whatever else
we feel incluned to share. This is what I have been promoting in this list
from its start in 1992.
Ah, the psychology behind getting people to follow a cause. Try luring them
with the food you have taught them to raise for themselves and their
grateful neighbors in the communities they helped build. Do it now, before
all humanity of engulfed in the war machine and full bkown corporate
domination using the war machine to gain its objectives, just like in the
Hollywood movies, like Blade Runner.
How about a balance between posts on dealing with greed versus ethics and
concentrated permaculture design and site construction. With the latter
comes POWER to people. With the former, who knows but lots of energy
expended in the process until one wakes up to the fact that there is no
food on the table or clean water to drink. Do the math. Count the hours
spent on implementation of good permaculture design and the benefits
derived from such. There needs to be a balance and I will promote that to
the end of my days and my legacy will continue that after I am gone. Look
objectively at a balance between awareness and adoption of the permaculture
ethics as you have defined them and pure nuts and bolts Earth-based
permaculture design living on a site where that design has been created.
LL
I am not sure I understand your dichotomy between ethics and greed. You
solve greed by following the ethics...