permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 18:32:54 -0600

I thought you would never ask!!

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM, <scott@permaculture.org> wrote:
>
> >  Life is not "just" about how to sharpen colters to get cleaner planting
> > rows, nor how to make maple syrup it is also about how to deal  with
> greed,
> >

> Reality check: I have no clue as to how to deal with greed. Do you? Please
> enlightn us. I am tired of tilting at windmills when I need to be totally
> occupied with survival.
> Seriously. No pi in the sky for me. No religion and no politics either.
> Just survival and when I have made progress then I will gladly help others.

One way to stop greed is to develop systems that do not reward greed. One
of the best models I know of is the Mondragon Co-op system in the Basque
country of Spain. This is a system that does not allow anyone in the co-op
make more than six times the pay of the lowest paid co-op member. Guess
what? If the ceo wants to make more money he has to find a way to see that
the lowest paid also makes more money. The worker owned co-ops are starting
to appear in the US particularly in Ohio and they are keeping jobs in the
community and operating based on the second and third ethics of permaculture.

> > how to share resources and information and much much more.
> >

> EX ACT LY. By all means share resources and information and whatever else
> we feel incluned to share. This is what I have been promoting in this list
> from its start in 1992.
>
> Ah, the psychology behind getting people to follow a cause. Try luring them
> with the food you have taught them to raise for themselves and their
> grateful neighbors in the communities they helped build. Do it now, before
> all humanity of engulfed in the war machine and full bkown corporate
> domination using the war machine to gain its objectives, just like in the
> Hollywood movies, like Blade Runner.
>
> How about a balance between posts on dealing with greed versus ethics and
> concentrated permaculture design and site construction. With the latter
> comes POWER to people. With the former, who knows but lots of energy
> expended in the process until one wakes up to the fact that there is no
> food on the table or clean water to drink. Do the math. Count the hours
> spent on implementation of good permaculture design and the benefits
> derived from such. There needs to be a balance and I will promote that to
> the end of my days and my legacy will continue that after I am gone. Look
> objectively at a balance between awareness and adoption of the permaculture
> ethics as you have defined them and pure nuts and bolts Earth-based
> permaculture design living on a site where that design has been created.
>
> LL

I am not sure I understand your dichotomy between ethics and greed. You
solve greed by following the ethics...