permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Invisible Structures
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:29:30 -0400

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM, <scott@permaculture.org> wrote:

> One way to stop greed is to develop systems that do not reward greed.
> One of the best models I know of is the Mondragon Co-op system in the
> Basque country of Spain. This is a system that does not allow anyone in
> the co-op make more than six times the pay of the lowest paid co-op
> member. Guess what? If the ceo wants to make more money he has to find a
> way to see that the lowest paid also makes more money.

I am familiar with Mondragon. They are wnderful and what an incredibly
beautiful country to exist in. The Basque Country also has the Bellota tool
works which supplies gardeners and farmers hand tools to countries the
world over and always to the third world from Colombia to Africa to India.
Bellota is huge and its American distributorship is Corona. Their tools ae
of the highest quality, repeat, highest. I used to buy and wear out True
Temper Fox shovels and Ames shovels, the equal of Bellota/Corona but you
can no longer get TT or Ames, replaced by Chinese junk in box stores since
local independent hardware stores have all but ceased to exist. Also
Mondragon no longer produces large household appliances like washers,
because importers choose moe Chinese junk over buying locally from
companies providing a living wage for company co owners (employees).

> The worker owned co-ops are starting to appear in the US particularly in
> Ohio and they are keeping jobs in the community and operating based on the
> second and third ethics of permaculture.

That is wonderful; we need more of them. I try to promote this kind of
system as often as possible though I realize it is often an uphill battle
and usually a pipe dream.

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com