permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

I had a friend who was an apprentice of John Jeavons that was growing all his
own food for him and his small son on 4000 square feet, in northern
California.  I recounted this tale a couple years ago, but as I recall it was
about a half-time job.

A student at UCSC also tried growing all his own food using the Biointensive
method on 4500 square feet, including paths, propagaton area, and compost
piles (only 2500 of this was actually beds.  You can read about this in the
Winter 1997 issue of The Cultivar.

As I understand it, neither of these projects fully utilized the potential of
our Meditteranean climate to grow grains and legumes during the Winter.  I've
recently realized that I could grow most of my food without irrigation if I
wanted to do it all with annuals (which I don't).  Annual gardening is hard
work, and my plans are to minimize it.

What hasn't been tried, to my knowledge, is to grow all of one's food by
maximizing the area covered by food forests.  These use practically all the
sunlight, resulting in greater efficiency and less weeding.  They also
require much less work and inputs and fulfill more functions.

These studies aren't purely academic.  It is useful to know how much land
needs to be devoted to growing food, whether you live in a small household, a
community, or a town.  Growing food without fossil fuels will require labor
intensive methods and minimal transport.  This means that we will need to
assess the ability of our local land to provide for its inhabitants.

I agree that sustainable living is best done in community, but I grew tired
of looking for a viable community a long time ago.  We each need to do what
we are capable of doing now.  Until fossil fuels become too expensive to
allow us to avoid being dependent on our neighbors, community organizing is
going to be very difficult.  Make the least change for the greatest effect
and start growing some food.

Rain