permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:52:30 -0400

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Toby Hemenway wrote:
On May 12, 2010, at 10:28 AM, jamesdavid Sneed wrote:

That seems so disappointing, an elitist attitude that discourages
people from growing all their own food . . . . I find that
independence impossible in anywhere but the most remote regions, I
am returning to those locales, which to me is the REAL WORLD
Reality is often more disappointing than dreaming of something we've
never tried; yes, my point was indeed to discourage people from the

Trying something and failing, though disappointing, is better than not having tried. What do you know about the reality of homesteading (urban or rural) for self sufficiency and independence? You said sometime ago that you gave up your rural lifestyle to live in the city. Fine, but do not criticise others living a rural lifestyle intent on surviving and remaining on their land; maybe they have no other option.

simplistic, near-impossible fantasy that when it gets tough they can
just grow all their own food. I hope that idea dies soon; it's a

Another aspect of this is the fact that those who are involved on any level with home or community food production will not only be able to feed themselves but feed others too, near and far, increasing the abundance of local foodsheds. This is so important and will become much more so in the next few years as peak oil kicks in for real and goods are priced higher and are in shorter supply. People need to wake up to the reality of taking responsible for their own well-being, involve themselves in medical self-help and get serious about building supportive communities where they live. The goal of total food self-sufficiency may be difficult to achieve but it is a necessary carrot held in front of them for inspiration and guidance. Communities of people living on homesteads and growing their own food can help meet individual needs through sharing the surplus, barter or sale. The possibilities are endless. Less is better more often than not and keep it simple is the word of the day. Save the complexities for the permaculture systems you design and install on your land and the food production systems you employ to feed yourself and your neighbors.
This is for real. An Extension agent friend in my county is hell-bent to promote these very concepts, nationally and yesterday. He sees peak oil
as having a big effect on our lifestyles in the very near future.