permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How Much Land Does It Take To Become Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:55:33 -0400

georg parlow wrote:

i agree with the idea, that community need self-reliant members. but self-reliance is a mindset, not an occupation. from my point of view it doesnt make sense, to be i-do-it-all homesteader next to other i-do- it-all homesteaders, and we have no time to talk or share,

That is exactly the way it should be "i-do-it-all homesteader next to other i-do-it-all homesteaders" and of course you/all would have time to talk and share and build community and work, not just as individuals but as a community, one that interrelates with neighboring communities with bioregions implementing maximum communication, exchange of resources, share, barter and sell with the entire system. It is exactly as stated:
"I totally agree about the need for strong community. But communtiy
without members having self-reliance is in serious trouble." I advocate maximum self-reliance, self-sufficiency and independence for each node in the system, each member of each family in each community, as a mindset and certainly as a primary endeavor and in some cases primary or secondary occupation.
It's different where you are in Austria, George, as I see it, everything has its place and systems are well organized and fixed to some degree or another. Here in the USA we are back to the frontier days, i.e. we need to build order out of chaos, more now than ever before.
Again I refer to:
georg parlow wrote:
> why not apply the concept of
sensible cooperation to community? and i certainly see this as a delicate matter - because we have to find the optimum balance between the extreme specialization and thus alienation we have now in our societies, and the one-man one-gun one-garden approach you seem to advocate here.

See above and many of my other posts about building communities within bioregions with in-depth resource networking.