permaculture - Re: [permaculture] From TruthOut

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] From TruthOut
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 08:54:19 -0700

Rather than look at it as the Earth having limitations on what is habitable,
I see it as humankind having demanded too much, or too high of a level of
habitation. If the Kung San could live happily for centuries in the Kalahari
desert, well-fed and sheltered, then why can't we live on less? I mean a lot
less. It is not the Earth that is limited in relation to us so much as it is
this greedy, selfish species demanding too many creature comforts. The Apache
didn't need refridgeration in Arizona, and the Haida didn't need enamelized
tin roofing in the rain forest of their islands, my Abenaki ancestors needed
no oil furnaces in New England winters. What changed? So-called civilization
showed up.