permaculture - Re: [permaculture] From TruthOut

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] From TruthOut
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:01:59 -0700

Since I have recently said I intend to quit using petroleum products and
toxic man-made materials within a year, I am exploring exactly what this
means. I invite everyone to comment on what this entails, and help me set
honest goals for this. It can be an exercise in assessment, and for some who
may wish to join in this endeavor, it can be the beginning of their own plan.
First off, this machine I am using to post these thoughts will have to go.
Their is not all that much truly recyclable about computer materials, and
even that little recycling may cost more energy and pollution than it saves.
The only thing enduring about my computer is the continuing toxicity of the
materials it is made from.
So if I quit driving, build a houseboat small enough to use oars and sails
instead of a motor, will that do it? Well, not if I order bulk foods to be
sent to Alaska by air or by oil-burning barge lines. Must mean I need to
intensify my quest to grow or gather100% of my food. That is quite possible.
Can I store away and then plant enough to keep going? What about my brewing
grains? I grow some, must grow them all, and the hops, but maybe I'll use
medieval recipes for beer that utilize easier-to-grow-in-the-north herbs
instead of hops.
Lots of wild blue and huckleberries, which have made some mighty fine wine
for me in the past.
I have no major need for things from a pharmacy. I am lucky. I have honed my
old-time veterinary skills and have kept healthy livestock and pets without
store-bought medicines. I guess I better stay out of any areas in which
rabies is endemic.
Since I eat wild meets, I best learn better about using my bow made from
local woods since bullets for my rifle come shipped via petroleum-fueled
vehicles. Yes, I've made black powder, but who wants to lug a heavy octagon
barrel around and try to reload in time to dissuade the brown bears I often
encounter.
My garden supplies come from the sea, the woods, and from the butts of
livestock. I labor by hand, make more of my own tools each year.
Clearly this will be complex as I try to simplify, but once a person starts,
the simplicity seems to snowball and reveal it's own viability.
What are your thoughts on this?