permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Overstep the bounds? was: From TruthOut

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Overstep the bounds? was: From TruthOut
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:07:44 -0700

Is it that there are too many, or that those in "developed" countries take
such a huge portion of the resources per capita. Until recently, third
worlders, where population is so often cited (by privileged people of
european descent) as a problem, were content and effective at feeding
themselves with simple tools and technologies. The real change came when the
privileged classes colonized (enslaved) the third world to use their
resources and labor to support their own creature comforts and inflated
lifestyles. We're still doing it, and have tantalized the third world with
enough of our toxic toys that some are willing to participate in or are
entrapped in a desperate attempt to gain material goods.
Yet, the privileged classes still jet around the world, buy new computers,
eat food grown far away, and sit atop their tractors while pretending to do
good for the third world. Reminds me of the missionaries.