permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Coastal SC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Coastal SC
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:29:07 -0800 (PST)

Carolyn,
I'll take a stab at this as I'm mentally involved in returning to the south
where I grew up, after being away for some time, and adjusting my garden/food
forest regime to accomodate the climate differences.  And in the process
hopefully I can ameliorate some of Isabel's (Udan Farm) concerns about fruit
growing in these conditions.  As you are well aware I'm sure, you're in a
hot, humid subtropical climate that gets a lot of rain, and the majority of
that during the long hot summer growing season.  As a physical construct, I
might suggest trying out an Emilia Hazelip-style, French intensive system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugFd1JdFaE0

This would not only focus your fertility in sandy soils, but it would lift
your crops up out of the regular heavy downpours that can wash a
well-intentioned garden away like a sandcastle at the beach on a rising tide.
As far as WHAT you grow, I haven't done a lot of specific research into
varieties, but you can grow damn near anything in that climate.  The key to
disease prevention, besides the usual permacultural IPM strategies, is air
circulation.  Keep prevailing breezes moving through your crops.  Don't close
down your garden.

Any good permie would start to replace annuals with perennials at their
earliest convenience, and I assume you'll be heading that direction.  Isabel
mentioned that apples, pears, and plums don't do well in our southeastern
U.S. climate, but fruit breeding has made just about anything possible these
days.  My suggestions: pear - Comice (which is, happily, the flavor standard
for pears); apple - Anna, Golden Dorset, or anything that blooms early and
matures late like a Brown or Golden Russet (for the permie in you, these are
great multi-purpose varieties - fresh, cider, keeper); for plums - try
Japanese plums - they usually require far fewer chill hours to produce and
are VERY easy for a beginner; cherries - I highly recommend the sweet black
cherry 'Lapins' that requires only 500 chill hours; and of course there are
lots of blueberries, peaches/nectarines, persimmons, pawpaws, blackberries,
and maybe even a Mandarin, like Owari Satsuma (grown by
Fukuoka himself I believe!), that might do if you could find a warm
microclimate in your system.  Plenty of figs would fit the bill,
pomegranates, guavas, loquats, medlar, kiwis, grapes, Italian stone pines for
nuts, hazels and walnuts (if you get enough chill), pecans, almonds, and the
usual suspects in the Nitrogen-fixing category like goumis, pea shrubs (for
poultry), and seaberries.

If you just have a small garden, choose one or two semi-dwarf fruit trees
(you can get 3- or 4-in-1 trees with multiple fruits), a couple of flowering
quinces perhaps, bush and bramble berries, goumis, asparagus, strawberries,
artichokes, and all the usual annual veggies to keep you happy.

Have fun!

Tripp

-Chinese proverb