permaculture - [permaculture] deep mulch in Mediterannean climates. more on Jean Pain

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] deep mulch in Mediterannean climates. more on Jean Pain
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:26:39 -0800 (PST)

A little more detail on Jean Pain's mulch system.  Pain created deep
beds of biomass compost and then did deep mulching on top of the beds.
He built a pole structure around the garden with chicken wire (I think)
roof and sides to keep out critters and allow the throwing of branches
on top of the porous roof during the hottest part of the year to cast some
shade
below.  This shade (and I believe some of the mulch) was removed during
the rainy season so that all the rain could be absorbed into the
compost beds and stored there to carry crop through the 9-month dry
season.  This worked well for Pain.

Another way to create biomass beds in a hot, dry ecosystem is to
dig in shallow
trenches (on the contour) and fill them with branches, rotting trunks,
biomass compost, organic matter and grow crops on them.  A
hugelkultur in a trench.  In rainy cool climates we build hugelkulturs
on top of the ground. but they are better in trenches in dry hot
climates.

The problems with deep mulch that Toby mentions are certainly valid.
"instances where pastures, orchards, and other less-managed (non-irrigated)
areas in Med climates were mulched blindly, and the result was wildfire in
the dry season with loss of trees (mulch
is flammable), loss of native forb species that could no longer come up
through the mulch,"

These must have been rich people to broadscale mulch a zone 3 area. Deep
mulch is a zone 1 or sometimes zone 2 strategy.  For one thing mulch is
expensive (money and/or time). For another thing it is relatively scarce in
most dryland systems.  So you concentrate it in intensive zone systems where
wildfire issues, native forbs etc are not an issue.

I know of a property in a dry area of Hawaii where they broadscale mulched
acres with cardboard (and little else) and a neighbor set a fire which
torched the whole lot with loss of trees, almost the house, etc.  So it is a
real danger if followed blindly.

No cookie cutter formulas in permaculture.
Permaculture is site specific, client specific and culture specific.

Michael Pilarski